Welcome to Crag House Farm an 18th century Grade ll listed Yorkshire Longhouse and barns built by Quakers William and Mary Hartas in 1770.
We have lived here since 1990 when we moved into the run down farmhouse with our family of four young boys. We used the barns as storage and to house the ‘extended family’, pigs, calves, lambs, dogs and horses as well as chickens, turkeys and ducks. The children however had their fun making dens in the barns, all over the farm and the moorland that surrounds us. It was the ‘Good Life’ an idyllic place from which to let our children grow up. We saw just two vehicles a day on the gated road, one the milk tanker and the other, farmer Alec, who we still see everyday visiting his very well behaved sheep grazing our fields.
Beacon View Barn
First finished in 1798 by William and Mary Hartas, Beacon View started life as a cow byre. In the 19th century the arched extension was added for cart access with living quarters for farm hands above. After its initial use as a cow byre the barn continued to be used for farm equipment storage with the addition of a milling machine which can still be seen in the covered yard (BBQ area). The Barn is one of only two buildings in the dale to have a Westmoorland slate roof, the other being St Hilda’s church. In the latter half of the last century we had the ailing roof restored allowing the barn to once again return to housing animals. A careful eye may be able to pick out the clues to its past uses.
There is no date stone on this barn but it is believed to be older than Beacon View. Built into the side of the hill like the farmhouse, there are several different floor heights throughout Dale View. With ancient cruck beams a Weavers window and a wonderful old sandstone ‘standing stone’ giving support at the centre of the building, Dale View is quirky and appealing.
Dale View Barn
Danny and Liz
After the family left home and the ponies retired it was time to find a new job for the barns. It took us several years, a lot of discussion and planning negotiations with the North York Moors National Park Authority, Listed building planners, bat surveys, hair tearing and tears! but at last in 2010 local builder and craftsman Philip Stonehouse with his team were able to continue the evolution of these Yorkshire sandstone barns to their next life. Beacon View Barn was completed in 2011 and Dale View in 2014. Both barns welcome you to be part of their history.